Endometriosis is a serious medical condition that afflicts up to 42 million women in India alone. Despite the seriousness of the medical condition, it is still under-researched and treatment options are limited.
However, despite the lack of allopathic and traditional medical options, ayurvedic medicine has made some progress with the management and curing of the ailment. In particular, CBD has shown remarkable promise in helping those with endometriosis deal with their condition.
Read on to find out more!
Ayurvedic Perspective And Symptoms
According to ayurvedic principles, endometriosis is a condition that occurs due to the vitiation ofapana vayu (vata dosha in the pelvic region) andpitta dosha.
The most common symptoms of endometriosis are
- Unbearable pain during menstruation and in between the period cycle.
- Typically women complain of pain during the ovulatory phase as well.
- Lower back pain is also common.
- Excessive bleeding during the menstrual cycle.
- Pain during sexual intercourse.
- Infertility. The condition is sometimes diagnosed while seeking treatment for infertility.
The threshold of pain that occurs during endometriosis is way more than that occurs during menstrual cramps. Dysmenorrhea is only one of the symptoms of endometriosis. Pain in endometriosis is only a secondary symptom.
Vijaya Leaf Extract for Pain Relief
Cannabis sativa (Vijaya) leaf extract is known to manage pain and inflammation associated with conditions such as endometriosis, arthritis, fibromyalgia, etc. Though CBD extract is not a cure for endometriosis, it can manage the condition well. While there isn’t any current research on CBD and endometriosis pain specifically, there areclinical trials in the works. In the meantime, some people claim that CBD helps them manage pain, in general.
Full-Spectrum CBD Oil for Endometriosis
Cannabis Extracts are oil-based formulations and come in dropper packaging. Fill the tincture with the Cannabis extract and drop the medicine underneath your tongue. Follow the number of drops as instructed during your consultation with our Ayurvedic physician. Make sure to count the drops as you drop them. Hold the drops under your tongue for 60-90 seconds and swallow.
The oil gets absorbed by your mucous membranes and sublingual glands, through which it can enter the bloodstream and begin working its effects. The Cannabliss formulation can be taken sublingually for about 90 days to see a noticeable difference.
Full Spectrum Medical cannabis oil is a better option as compared to the OTC painkiller medication as it is a natural preparation and devoid of any chemicals. It also does not have any side effects similar to painkillers like nausea, drowsiness, addiction, itchiness, sweating, or a weakened immune system.
Do’s and Don'ts
- Avoid coffee, tea, and alcohol that may aggravate estrogen levels.
- High body fat also aggravates estrogen levels. Avoid junk food, excess sugar intake, and refrigerated food.
- Take freshly home-cooked meals on time.
- Exercise regularly to reduce body fat.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables, yoga, and pranayama help in reducingvata and thus reducing the symptoms of endometriosis.
- Intake of 1 tsp ghee on an empty stomach also pacifies vata.
- Applying castor oil to the belly button regularly at night before sleep reduces pain due to endometriosis.
- Herbs likeTriphala,hareetaki, orsonamukhi also help to detoxify the body and correct the movement of vata.
- Adequate rest is required for a speedy recovery.
A Brief Guide to Endometriosis
What is Endometriosis?
The endometrium is an inner lining of the uterus that plays a key role in preparation for implantation, maintenance of pregnancy if implantation occurs, and menstruation in the absence of pregnancy. The endometrium thus plays a pivotal role in the reproduction and continuation of our species. Endometrium sheds causing a period/ menstrual bleeding in case pregnancy doesn’t occur.
Endometriosis is a condition in which the endometrial tissues are found outside of the uterine cavity. When these cells are found anywhere outside of the uterus, they eventually grow and even bleed during menstruation causing pain and excessive bleeding.
In some cases, these cells are also found in areas far from where the pelvic organs are located. These are also called chocolate cysts as they appear as small globules that are filled with blood resembling dark chocolate.
Causes of Endometriosis
There are several causative factors
- Women with a family history of endometriosis are more susceptible to this disease.
- History of uterine surgery. The endometrial tissues may get out of the uterine cavity during surgery. This happens especially after a hysterectomy or surgical c-section.
- In a condition known as retrograde menstruation, the menstrual blood flows in a reverse direction into the fallopian tubes, instead of out of the body. This causes adhesions, and congestion in the fallopian tubes causing endometrial cells to grow there. This causes excessive menstruation during each menstrual cycle.
- Hormonal imbalance with higher levels of estrogen in the body.
- Early menarche and late menopause.
Though endometriosis is a debilitating condition due to excruciating pain and fatigue, it can be managed with herbs and proper treatment. CBD is one such treatment that not only aids in symptom management but actively leads to pain relief without additional side effects. While there is still much research to be done, CBD has shown great promise as a long-term effective treatment for endometriosis.